Teva Pharmaceuticals and Poor Quality Generic Drugs

With the costs of name-brand drugs rising exponentially over the past 20 years, resulting in higher premiums and co-pays, US citizens have, to a large extent, been able to count on lower-priced generics to sway the high costs of name brand drugs. Generics have always been assumed to be the same as their name-brand equivalents by both the public and the Doctors prescribing them and Insurance companies requiring them.

This is not the case anymore as Teva Pharmaceuticals, based in Israel, has been swallowing up many of the leading generic drug manufactures over the past 10 years, making them the sole producer of many of the important generics that so many of us count on for a myriad of medical conditions.

The fact that Teva is buying up the competition is not the focus — though corporate monopolies are never good for consumers. It is the fact that so many of Teva’s generics are poorly produced in third-world countries and are not the same as their brand-name equivalents. While the main chemical components of their drugs are technically the same, or bio-equivalent (according to the FDA), as the main chemical compound of the name-brand, it is the low-quality precursor chemicals, inferior manufacturing facilities and lack of production oversight that is causing adverse and harmful reactions in consumers that have begun taking generics produced under the Teva Umbrella.

Teva takes over

Teva was officially created in 1976 after the merger of three pharmaceutical companies created in Israel by European Immigrants. In 1982, the FDA approved its main manufacturing plant — and so began the path to market domination.

Teva is not solely interested in generics as they have produced some very effective and useful proprietary drugs such as Copaxone and Azilect. Despite their own research and development, Teva’s meteoric rise atop the pharmaceutical food chain has come through buying and merging with other large drug manufacturers. Most recently, the acquisition of Barr Pharmaceuticals in 2008 for over 7 billion dollars has further entrenched them in generic manufacturing.

Barr had been the largest generic manufacturer in the world when they were acquired by Teva. This, in and of itself, is not necessarily earth-shattering information — big company acquires other big company, making bigger company; the way of capitalism. The relevance of the Barr acquisition lies in the history of Barr–a history of corruption and inferior production standards. Teva, as far as pharmaceutical giants go, has typically been considered a quality developer and producer of proprietary drugs up until the past few years. It is their acquisitions over the past ten years — Barr in particular — and their quest to cheaply produce generics to make even more money that has brought their quality standards under scrutiny.

Lowering the Barr

Barr was an outsider looking in for many years, trying desperately to get FDA approval for its generics. But this quest was deterred by the FDA, who was approving generics and other drugs for the highest bidder.

The company earned notoriety during the late 1980s, when its founder testified before a congressional committee about bribes between generic drug producers and U.S. Food & Drug Administration officials. Funding Universe

This testimony would actually set Barr back a bit throughout the 80s and into the early 90s as the FDA, in possible retaliation, stonewalled the approval for many of Barr’s bio-equivalent manufacturing requests. This would change in the mid 90s when Barr became more aggressive in its approach. With a team of highly paid attorneys, Barr set out to find loopholes in the patents of many popular name-brand drugs. One of the more notable patent challenges came against Eli Lilly’s Prozac in 1996.

Challenging existing patents with a “dream team” of patent layers would become Barr’s main focus in the late 90s and throughout this decade. Considering Barr had smoothed over relations with the FDA in the 90s, getting bio-equivalency approval after winning patent challenges in court was a quick and easy process — unlike the 80s which led Barr to testify against the FDA in the first place. Now, Barr was in the driver’s seat as they swallowed up other generic manufacturers and continued to win patent suits and gain first rights to bio-equivalency claims of expiring patents.

When Barr was acquired by Teva in 2008, a string of voluntary re-calls would soon follow. Despite Barr’s unscrupulous business history, quality-control of their drugs was never a big issue. With Teva’s acquisition and control of Barr and its wide scope of generic manufacturing, the quest to make their drugs at the cheapest price possible has resulted in the use of low-quality precursor chemicals and a complete lack of manufacturing oversight. Just nine months ago, Barr’s generic Adderall was re-called because they were distributing batches at four to five times the listed dosage. Considering Adderall is a blend of amphetamines, this resulted in an array of cardiovascular and psychological problems for those unfortunate enough to take these potent Adderall pills.

While on the subject of Adderall, it is of importance to note the complacency of many of the major brand-name drug manufacturers in allowing their proprietary formulas to be produced in a manner inconsistent with their own production standards. Shire pharmaceuticals, the original producer of Adderall, has recently granted Barr/Teva the right to be the sole manufacturer of Extended Release Adderall, which is still under patent.

The reason for this is of course profit. Shire has a large stake in the growing ADHD market, and are pushing their new ADHD drug Vyvanse as the be all and end all of ADHD medication. Essentially, they have given up any concern over the quality perceptions of the very popular and widely used Adderall to push Vyvanse; which is simply Dextro-Amphetamine (Dexidrine) with lysine bonded to it, supposedly creating a less abusable prodrug of something that has been around for over a hundred years. I’ll save my critique of the ineffectiveness of Vyvanse for another time as that would involve delving into some complicated bio and neuro-chemistry.

In addition to the Adderall recalls, there have been others just in the past two years since Barr was acquired by Teva. Obviously, recalls and production errors happen, but Teva seems to make more mistakes than what one would consider acceptable when dealing with drugs that are used to treat life-threatening illnesses. The pharmaceutical industry as a whole, has historically shown indifference to their actual consumers for the sake of generating more profit.

With Teva taking over such a large portion of the generic drug market, this could be a scary proposition for those who depend on affordable drugs for treating a variety medical conditions. The FDA, the federal administration responsible for overseeing the safety and effectiveness of these medications has continued to turn a blind eye to the issues of Teva — and every other drug manufacturer with deep pockets. Considering the FDA’s history of corruption and the fact that it is made up largely of former pharmaceutical executives and representatives, their apathy toward consumers in favor of these corporations should come as no surprise. If the FDA cannot be cleaned up, big pharma companies like Teva will continue produce medication not fit for public consumption; the consequences of which could be quite devastating — they already have been for millions of individuals worldwide.

Update 05.28.2010: Here’s a nice story written in the USA Today about the FDA warning many drug manufacturers about their shoddy production methods; Teva at the forefront. Let’s hope the FDA does more than just warn them.

———————————————————————

Copyright:  Curl Publishing Incorporated. Cannot be reproduced or republished without the written or implied consent of Curl Publishing Incorporated.

——————————————————————–

Reader Feedback

30 Responses to “Teva Pharmaceuticals and Poor Quality Generic Drugs”

• Chaosity Hartman says:

It did such damage to my life.
    The latest being cut out of my fathers will.

I had no idea what was happening to me.
    The scary thing is- MY husband HAD to know something was wrong!
    Rather than help me he used my strange behaviour to convince my family
    I was crazy!
    HE F—-ing knew!!!!
    We went to Washington state to go motorcycling. My husband dropped me off at a motel for a week while they went and had a great time.
    They all still think it was just me being nuts!
    Thank you for writing what you did. At least i can send the info to sis & bro and say…..this is why, steven knew, but believe what you need.
    Sorry i feel so angry all over again.

• Rodney says:

I have been taking the Teva brand Valium for some months. I just took ONE of the 10mg “Dan” (Watson I think) brand and it was *so* much more effective than the Tevas I have been getting. No wonder I have been needing to take twice as many.I am angry as hell

• Justin says:

To those taking Adderall instant release, please be WELL AWARE, at CVS they have a NEW Pharmaceutical company making them, AS WELL as Dexedrine called Aurobindo/Aurolife Pharma…MY GOD, if You are on Adderall or Dexedrine ASK YOUR PHARMACIST BEFORE You fill the Script simply WHICH product are You carrying! This FILTH has left Me with terrible chest Pain, the WORST aching joints, I’ve ground My teeth awful…I am literally considering this “MEDICATION” that was pushed on Me from My ONLY nearby Medicare part D filling Pharmacy to be TOXIC and NOT SAFE. I have taken, and been on Amphetamines for MANY Years…I see many complaints with Teva/Barr/WTF-ever – I have no complaints with THEIR, Sandoz, Corepharma, and the original Shire product. But THIS…AVOID AT ALL COSTS. The generic Pharmaceutical community in this Country at a WHOLE, should be ASHAMED of themselves! CALL AND REPORT THESE MATTERS TO THE DEA! It is not a problem WE the Patient created…However, it IS OUR *OBLIGATION* to “lobby”…I hate that word, however it’s appropriate…AGAINST THESE CRIMINALS! Lets FACE it. There are RIDICULOUS amounts of CRIMINAL; INFINITE FELONY type behavior and actions being made by these CONGLOMERATES. Life just SUCKS…Terribly.

“AUROBINDO PHARMA” AMPHETAMINE SALTS INSTANT RELEASE, in MY case, the 20mg form ARE POISON. My MONTH is RUINED. I have a TERRIBLY demanding Job, and because of a Pharmaceutical company that is no more in “PHARMACEUTICALS” than I AM the goddamned “Man in the Moon”. THANKS A LOT, You evil People. Literally sitting here crying with palpitations and ringing in My ears so loud, I have just called 911 and the Ambulance is on the way.

• Sue Banfield says:

I’ve been on Valium (diazepam) for years. Recently, my pharmacist changed from Watson to TEVA for that med. I didn’t pay any attention until I realized that after taking 10 mg of Valium, it didn’t have an affect. Then, I had to take another. I realized I was eating stomped on drugs. So, I told Rite-Aid from now on ONLY order me Watson. To hell with TEVA. I’d dump their shares right now if I owned it. WATSON is the only real reputable generic mfg out there. IMO

• Dennis says:

i have been taking Effxor XR for close ten years. Recently started on Medical. Needless to say they would not cover the name brand was put the generic “equivalent ” become so ill went back to brand name company and pay $478 a month out a very shallow pocket. A month later I received a call from my pharmacy informing there voluntary recall this Teva generic that they had mistakenly place heart medication in capsual. Now had taken that I would most likely been as I recently received a liver transplant. Talk about over site, I’ve in machine that ran thousands of same a day and we checked parts every 15min. For accuracy. They allowed this to get people’s hands. The didn’t even check it once. Total lack of controll and the FDA should be hung out and answer for being allowed to happen.

• Terri Watson says:

I received adderall that are are blue oblong tabletS imprinted
    with SWIFT. I am scared to take becaide I cannot find any info on in Internet
    made by Teva
    but not on their website
    anyone else get any of these?

• Tracey says:

I had been taking Corepharma brand for my Adderall 3omg. It was working great then it stopped working for me. I couldn’t figure out
    Why. I investigated and realized I was switched to Teva. When I went over this with my doc he explained to me the leeway the pharmaceutical companies have in production & that even though my script is for 30 doesn’t mean I’m getting 30. So I searched around to find a pharmacy that had not switched to the cheaper manufacturer. It was hard to find one. I finally did so I was back on track. Now they have switched to teva so I have no choice. Being back on teva I am feeling nauseous and tired. It truely sucks we have no choice in what brand a pharmacy gives us. Teva is the worst.

• Faye says:

Generic doesn’t necessarily have to mean poor quality … but it does seem that poor quality of generics are reserves for the poor … and since there are more and more added to the financially poor status … it seems more and more are suffering from poor quality generics …

After returning some Teva brand name meds to the pharmacy, which actually elevated my blood pressure instead of lowering it .. I was given a 5 day replacement for what I was told would be the Activis manufacturer‘s generic brand, which I knew to be a better generic quality …

But when later comparing these 5 capsules to an old PAR manufacturer prescription that had also not control my blood pressure … the PAR capsule and the proclaimed Actavis capsule were not only the same shape size and color … but their identification marks were exactly the same as “R2577” ..

To understand why two different manufactures carried the same identical identification numbers and color .. I first contacted my insurance company’s pharmacy care department .. who could NOT explain why this was so ..

Then I contacted FDA … he too was unclear as to how this occurred because even records he pulled up showed that Actavis 180 mg of diltiazem AND Par’s 180 mg of diltiazem carried the same identification look and number …

So then I called Actavis … and there I was able to find out that PAR had bought out some of Actavis pill production and the 180 mg I’d received was discontinued through Actavis .. and was now produced and manufactured by PAR …

So even though I was lead to believe that I was getting an Actavis good therapeutic quality of diltiazem … I was actually getting a lesser grade produced by PAR … which does not accurately control my blood pressure ..

As I continued my research .. I found out that my prescription had what the pharmacy referred to as a secondary insurance called Apex Affinity … ??????? ….

And here is where things began to come together … it seems that the power behind this monopoly of pushing lesser grades of medication blindly on mainstream … seems to be fueled by a middle man’s ‘benefit management company’ such as Apex affinity umbrella red by Script Save which can CHEAPLY promote these certain low quality meds to pharmacies while pharmacies are then able to offer patients big discounts without the knowledge of the middle man’s supporting and representing their low quality medications …

• Yanalynn says:

I got generic remeron (mirtazapine) from Teva recently due to the cost of name brand with my new insurance. It doesn’t work. It takes forever for me to go to sleep, and I wake up a couple of hours early. I felt awful. I am going to call the FDA, and call Teva. I am exhausted. Fortunately, I had several weeks supply of Remeron and started alternating days, and that got me through a month until I could refill. So I have to spend $136 versus $12 a month because this company is allowed to sell a product that doesn’t work? This is just not okay.

• jillian says:

Teva manufactures products that do not work and we pay for it! I was prescribed my usual 30mg adderall, and I always use Sandoz however this time I regretfully didn’t check my script and was sadly dispensed Barr/Teva. I took them for 2 days praying they would somehow be different this time and they weren’t; they didn’t do anything! The product made me nauseas, and extremely tired. The next morning I woke up and drank 2 glasses of water, and magically I was not sick anymore.
    Thank God I got Sandoz again and my brain is back in order!
    It’s sad that they are allowed to sell, and monopolize the so called “free market,” when in fact we all know it’s a bunch of bull-shit!
    I have written the FDA to complain. I can only pray others do.

• Joan Hogan says:

Teva Pharmaceuticals should be shut down for good ! The Public Is @ risk from this company making poor quality meds, not the proper strength, and endangering people’s lives.

• poisoned by generics says:

About six months or sd ago I started to notice I was getting slightly ill from my medications, I didn’t know which one, it has finally been narrowed down to the generic hydrocodone. I tried switching pharmacies once and when I went there they said they needed a few days to get this in, they gave me about a five day supply of what I assumed was the name brand, and low and behold that was the way this drug used to work, and none of the negative side affects, weakness, shortness of breath and generally ill feeling. Sure enough after getting the rest of my script I was overcome with sickness again. About 2 months after all this, I have a proper blood test and it is discovered that I have gone diabetic because of my kidneys struggling with what can only be discribed as a slow poisoning reaction, my kidneys struggling to cleanse this stuff from my system. We are investigating the AMA and Teva to see if it is a conspiracy to create more diabetic patients or just junk drugs.

• Josh says:

I have recently been getting 1/3 to almost empty capsules (4-6 out of 20) of amphetamine salts er 20 mg capsule.i am curious if anyone else has had this issue? Wanting other people to agree they have had same issue before I pursue further with my doc. Thanks

• Cory in Texas says:

I’ve been on tylenol 4 for many years for trigeminal neuralgia and always given the generic brand. My pharmacy recently switched brands to the teva brand of tylenol 4 and ironically, this article reflects my experience. The first time I took one of these pills i LITERALLY felt like I took six and was throwing up within a half hour later.

The second day taking them, I cut them in half, and had half of one and had to leave work because, again, I felt like I was going to throw up and straight up I was higher than a kite.

This is NOT my imagination and have talked to others in my chronic pain support group who have had the same experience.

Honestly: if I didn’t know better I would say they’re mixing codeine with hydrocodone. The last time I had a reaction like this was when I had oral surgery and switched from codeint to hydrocodone for a month and the day I switched I had both drugs in my system.

I’m calling my pain doc this week and telling him about this. I’m going to find out If I can give the leftover drugs to the clinic to destroy and just switch pharmacies for one that can give me the old brand I was using.

• maura says:

I am at a total state of depression and anxiety filled. Teva has ruined me with what they claim to be adderall. I get tired to the point my eyes are swollen and i can not function amr

• Nick says:

I was diagnosed with ADHD 3 years ago. Took meds for a year (unfortunately all I know is that they were 10mg IR formula) and never had any problems. Again I cant exactly remember if I had name brand or generic but either way it never gave me anything but the usual minor side effects (dry mouth, a few jitters here or there, bad taste in mouth) but never any psychological side effects. I ran into some money/family trouble and was forced to move, I did not have money for a long time, finally (just a month ago) I was able to see a psychiatrist and she prescribed 20mg of Adderall XR.

Upon receiving the meds the bottle read “IC Amphetamine Salts, 20mg ER CAP.” I have taken generic drugs before (not necessarily this one specifically) and have not really had a problem. The first few days were great but soon enough The side effects became more and more noticeable and severe.

This time around I get the usual side effects PLUS some lovely psychological ones:

Severe anxiety (nervousness, fear, dread, and very uncomfortable feelings), panic attacks (which i’ve only had maybe 3 times over 22 years), irritation, agitation, anger, frustration, and mood swings consisting of variations of these symptoms.

Not only that I have palpitations, tachycardia, high-blood pressure (blurred vision, tight chest, trouble breathing). The hearing of my heartbeat even though the noise around me is obviously much louder (I forget the med term for this), twitching of legs, hands and other random body parts, pain around my heart, lung, and liver areas, sweaty palms and upset stomach.

I called my doctor and she assured me that I may just be getting used to the meds and that taking a break for a day or two when the side effects persist would help, and that we would discuss it more during my next appt (2 weeks away).

ALSO the medication seems to effect me different on a day-to-day basis. Being very frustrated with all of this I have persisted to go on forums, answer sites and google search till i’m blue in the face only to be ignored or disregarded or come up empty.

Today I finnally decided to look on the bottle after reading a few posts about peoples’ experiences with the exact generic that I am taking and SURE ENOUGH guess who makes these meds!? TEVA!!!

I’m very glad I found not only this site but a multitude of resources and reviews by other people with the same condition and medication who have had severe adverse reactions to this particular medication (M.Amphet 20 imprint – aka generic adderall XR caps). I will be asking my doctor to help me get either name brand or a different generic after this.

Thanks for nothing TEVA, hope you choke on your own medication f***ing a**holes

• Ginny Brogna says:

Just stumbled upon this website looking for any feedback on Teva’s generic Plavix (clopidogrel 75 mg). Just completed my first month of these tablets (which are, btw, twice the size of the brand name pills). Having headaches and bad stomach pains with them that I didn’t have with Plavix and am wondering if I have any other generic options or is the pharmacy locked into one company’s product And what’s in them that makes them twice the size of the original pill? Any help would be appreciated. Been on Plavix for 3 years and probably a lot longer. Thanks.

• Paul Graham says:

Well, I’m delighted to “discover” there is actually some background info on the goggle site because even if the INTERNET isn’t controlled by a government (CHINA) (CUBA), Other countries that if our own Internet is polluted with ONE-SIDED reporting or articles, were NEVER going to as a “Republic” gain that foothold we once had in the world, the BEST Medicine and FDA any Government could employ which protects its Consumers!
    Seems like a huge win when the Tylenol scare appeared. It was so over dosing the public here in the States enough dead or sick (flies) could not go unnoticed, and the Doctors got involved because most of them are not that interested in scams or hurting patients for profits, besides it only serves to make them look bad!
    So Express Scripts at Anthem Blue Cross comes in and takes over California’s Medical Crises Prescription crises in Medi-Cal its called here. We have allot of retired folks living in California, in every county!
    They are clever, they Phase in the program so as to lower concerns or its being suspect, despite the fact the same drugs that were reported as having the BAD side-affects before remain the same, so much so they too have hired Hot Shot Lawyers to defend lies and freedom of the facts.
    Anthem Blue/Cross and Express Scrips provide always a generic drug, it takes a hearing in font of a knowledgeable State Medical Physician’s opinion in order to protect people from accepting junk for their medication.
    Want proof, get yourself a RX of their Valium/Diazepam from CVS/Express Scripts, MFR on the bottle listed as LUPIN Pharmac, then get the same from Walgreen’s MFG Mylan in San Diego California.
    It will take THREE or FOUR of The Lupin Brand tro EQUAL one of the MYHLAN pharmaceuticals! Just a single blind study, don’t mark the bottles and roll them around the table with bottle # 1 AND bottle #2, HAVE TO HAVE A RECORD RIGHT!
    You see for yourself. What do I do, I just Pay about $11.50 for 60 pills from Walgreen’s Generic provider, I have the senior drug discount card with them, and its awesome.
    Same is true of their Ambien drug at CVS anthem Blue Cross, and the Ambien at Walgreen’s no side affects!
    I took Anthem to a hearing to obtain a decision in my favor. My proof was simple, the generic Ambien from CVS would give me that known side affect of horror nightmares! One of those and your like, OK, were out of here. Profits over People alongside the Best Madison Avenue Advertising in America, hey I got a Bridge you can buy drug!!! With the Health Care Crises only getting worse, pretty soon we won’t be able to get an aspirin and feel safe. Paid liars and crooks NOW in the FDA AND DRUG COMPANIES.
    But you have to hands it to Walgreen’s, they never sold me Any screwed up drugs, and I have 19 medications for all the illnesses I suffer from! Good Luck, were going to need it.

• John says:

Carol – I got exactly what you described – white pills, round, no imprint, in a blister package (10 per blister package) and they don’t seem to do much of anything. They clearly have Teva listed as the manufacturer. Have you had similar experience / do you have further information?? Thanks! – John

• Carol says:

Was it a white pill with no imprint on it supposed to be 30 mg and came in blister pkg

• Sarahada says:

Angie, You are not alone. This is my second refill with teva manufactured Adderall and I am sooo sleepy. Either they are not putting the right amount in each pill, or something is wrong. I am sending a pill to be checked for the amount of medication. THIS STINKS. I do not know what brands I had before. TEVA bought out Barr pharmaceuticals. I had the Teva brand this summer and had the same complaints…sleepy, etc. unable to stay on task. Then two months with another manufacturer (and no problems). Then Teva this time and I feel like there is NO medication in each pill. Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone!

• Angie says:

My newest refill lists Teva as the MFG. I only noticed this when after 3 days of taking it I seem to be very tired and can not seem to get on task. I was thinking I may be developing a tolerance since it has been a little more than 2 years that I have been taking it. But when I look at my prior perscriptions the manufacturer was GLOBAL. Are these companines connected? Any thoughts on why the medications is now making me tired?? Thanks so much!

• Todd Curl says:

Hi Lisa,

No matter what, you’re going to be supporting big pharma unless you start manufacturing yourself:) Unfortunately, you have very few options for any amphetamine drug not manufactured by Teva. There are still a couple of other generic manufactures of IR Adderall out there (Mylar is one), but they aren’t exactly top quality either from what I’ve read. Really your best options are Vyvanse and ProCentra. Vyvanse is manufactured by Shire and is a prodrug of Dextroamphetamine. So basically it is converted into dextroamphetamine after ingestion and the lysine is cleaved from the dextro. If your insurance doesn’t cover it, it is quite expensive. As for ProCentra; it is a liquid dextro-amphetamine that is targeted toward young children with ADHD, however, it is even more expensive than Vyvanse and most likely not covered by your insurance.

As for ER (extended release) Adderall; Shire gave all manufacturing rights to Teva for ER adderall which is still under patent, though I imagine they are focusing on pushing Vyvanse since the patent is due to expire in a year or two. It’s basically Teva Adderall and Teva Dextro or Vyvanse that are your only amphetamine options. There’s still methylphenidate (Ritalin/Concerta) as an alternative to amphetamines, though it seems to be somewhat ineffective in some adults compared to children, though it may be a viable option. But you never know, Teva Dextro or generic Adderall might work fine you, though I find it concerning there are so few options available.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck…

Todd

• Lisa Hillman says:

Todd
    Thank you for your informative article. I’m just now getting back on add meeds after being pregnant and off if them for a while. According to your research, what add/ADHD meeds are NOT manufactured by big phrarma companies that use cheap binding agents and fillers? Natropathic drugs are not an option…
    Thx!

• Ricardo says:

There is more than just one or two bad batches of product coming from this monopoly. Pharma has become one place illegitimate money can go to become legit. How did Teva finance ten years of huge acquisitions – each around $7B??

The fact is the FDA cannot regulate this giant based in Israel. And Teva now has free reign to turn out low quality, generic drugs with huge profit margins – by cutting corners and stonewalling regulators. Capitalism is fine, but there has been ZERO Congressional oversight of Teva’s takeover of US pharma companies. Only independent competition and oversight will keep these companies honest.

Write to these sites to file your complaints or experience:

non profit highly proactive site where people complain and if they have a complaints they will do something about it.

an independent lab that does testing on different generics and brands to examine their quality.

• Jayne says:

Well, I have recently had a severe adverse reaction to the TEVA generic mirtazapine. I had severe bloating and other symptoms consistent with a gluten reaction. The first month I was on mirtazapine, my pharmacy filled my prescription with a generic manufactured by AuroBindo. For the first 30 days I had no adverse reactions other than those listed as common side effects. When I had my prescription refilled, my pharmacy used TEVA, and the problems started on day 2. Symptoms ranged from chills and clammy skin (with no fever) inside an 80 degree house with outdoor temps of 100 degrees, to hair loss, to abdominal bloating so severe that I appeared to be 7+ months pregnant. I experienced whole body RLS (restless legs syndrome) and insomnia stretching for 54 hours at a time. My sinuses stopped up, my throat became scratchy as if I were getting a cold, I couldn’t eat for bloating to the point of having difficulty sitting and breathing, my sleep cycle flipped upside down…..I was unable to go to sleep before daylight even with Ambien. On day 10 of a 15mg dose I decided that would be the last day I took this med and I stopped it cold turkey, even though that is not safe to do with anti-depressants. Had I not done that I have no doubt I would have ended up in the hospital with damaged organs. 60 hours after my last dose of TEVA mirtazapine I finally started to feel somewhat human again. I called TEVA to ask if their product was gluten free and I was assured it was, they even had 2 documents that said their inactive ingredients were certified gluten free. However, upon asking if their manufacturing facility was gluten-free I was told no, it was not. Therefore cross contamination is highly possible. I am not a celiac, but if I were, I would be dead by now from taking only 10 doses of their product. I can tolerate gluten in small controlled amounts knowing what my reaction will be, but I have NEVER had this severe a reaction to gluten in my life. I took pictures of my abdomen at it’s most bloated, which occurred 48 hours after my last dose, then again one week later. The difference was unbelievable. The TEVA nurse and I are playing phone tag, but sometime this week we will talk, and I will be sending her the pictures I took documenting the reaction my body had. I’m damn lucky it didn’t kill me.

• Todd Curl says:

I just searched for that again and every site that listed it as ‘4-5 times the listed dosage’ is not coming up through any search engines. I imagine Teva has ‘persuaded’ Google and others to remove that information. If you go to the add adderall forums, http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29, there are many individuals who experienced similar to what you did when they released those potent batches.

I’m sorry to hear about what you had to go through thanks to Teva’s poor quality control and the FDA’s collusion with those merchants of poison. It’s amazing you even found this article as any information the least bit critical of Teva is very hard to come by. Even the ADHD forums are getting polluted with posts from writers hired by Teva and Shire to discredit anyone who speaks ill of what many would consider to be criminal activities.

I would imagine there is probably a class-action lawsuit in the works somewhere — maybe not though. Teva has very deep pockets and is well connected politically, so maybe they’ll be able to squash any litigation attempts. I’ve also been contacted by several people who experienced very adverse reactions with Teva’s generic Wellbutrin — it’s the same old song and dance unfortunately. If the FDA would what they’re supposed to do and protect us consumers against Teva (who is now the only game in town for most generic amphetamines), ‘bio-equivalency’ might actually be a reality rather than an empty platitude.

• Publius says:

Where did you get the figure 4-5 times the listed dosage for the recalled Barr amphetamines? I have seen that figure elsewhere but have been unable to verify it. I was unfortunate enough to receive those and got kicked out of college and tossed in jail due to the psychological effects. Any further info you would provide would be very helpful to me and others who consumed those, and appreciated.